Saturday, June 26, 2010

Wilderness Week

I am finished with my first week counseling! This week I had ten girls all age 10 and 11. The first couple of days were really fun just getting to know them all and playing fun games and such. I loved being excited about little things and I liked lifeguarding and playing with the kids and getting to know all of the other wilderness week kids.

By Thursday, however, my patience began to be tested with most of the girls. A few of them were great and never complained or sad anything negative, but some of them were the exact opposite. I have never been asked so many questions and have never heard so many random feelings that I have no control over. But they are all pretty young and obviously have a lot to learn yet :)

One of my favorite memories over the week was experiencing silly bands. Silly bands are rubber bands that are shaped like things, lions, hearts, centipedes, flowers, elephants, etc. The kids LOVED trading them and trying to get them off of you. There was one kid who would always come up to me and try to trade with me. He wanted them so bad! So at the end of the week I gave him one of mine and he was so happy and said, and I quote, "I will never trade this silly band because you gave it to me. I will never forget you, you are my best friend. You and Abby J. (another counselor)" It was so cute!! Love it.

I had my favorite campers who were great the whole week. They always listened and rarely complained. It's so nice having at least a few of those in the cabin :)

This first week was good because I got to learn more about how camp works and now I feel like I know more of what I'm doing. Next week is family camp and I am very excited because all of the counselors are sleeping in a cabin together the whole week and we just get to hang out with families! I'm glad.

Now I have to get some sleep.

1 comment: